Saturday, April 25, 2009

My 29th Birthday Weekend - Saturday

Part of my birthday gift from TJ was tickets to Jazz Fest! We went out there on Saturday to hear James Taylor, Wilco and many others. We started out at the Fais Do-Do stage to hear some zydeco. This music makes you want to boogie! I loved watching our fellow festival goers Cajun Waltz and two step. I love that style of dancing. For those who have not seen it, to me it, looks similar to a jitterbug polka. Lyla, once again covered in sunscreen, made the trip with us. She was the best baby and loved all of the colorful people and all of the music and action. She loves to go and do, just like her parents! The Kelty was perfect for the festival. She had a birds-eye view of things and was safely out of the way. A great investment for a family on the go. Especially since our little one doesn't like her stroller, unless it is moving!
TJ and I both love the Blues so we spent most of the day in the blues tent. It was nice to sit in the shade. Lyla was quiet a ham and made several friends. She really liked this couple from England, making faces and laughing at them. She also enjoyed the Blues music and would "dance" and try to sing along. There were about 70,000 people in attendance on Saturday and we ended up sitting next to a couple from Amarillo. Small world! We also ate some great food. We had to try the famous Crawfish bread and it didn't disappoint! We shared a combo plate consisting of Pecan Catfish Meunière, Seafood Mirliton Casserole, Fried Crab Cake w/ Smoked Tomato & Jalapeño Tartar and Fried Green Tomatoes. And being a former Snow Cone Queen, I had to try their Sno Balls. Pretty good, but no match for the Snow Patch - ha!We also took Lyla to her first Pow Wow, where we watched Houma Indians perform tribal dances. She is an eighth Cherokee, which is too funny to me since she is the whitest baby I know! But I want her to know her heritage and the Cherokee have such a rich one. We also got to see the Mardi Gras Indians parade. I wanted to see their parade during Mardi Gras but we didn't get the chance. They have the most beautiful costumes and, to me, one of the most interesting histories of any Krewe.

After a big day at Jazz Fest we boarded the buss back to our hotel for hot showers and a quick nap. Then TJ and I tried Carlos Mencina's Suave. Not the best Mexican/Latin food place and pretty over priced but there was no wait. The best thing on the menu was the Blueberry Mojitini. And this cost more than my burrito. This confirmed my theory that actors and singer are not the best restaurateurs. Especially when they feel compelled to name their establishment after themselves!
Another fun filled day and it still was not my actual birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment